Friday, March 21, 2014

Congratulations, You Graduated

Previous attempts

I wrote this blog entry twice the other day, however I did it on my phone and neither attempt went through. I'm not sure if it's the type of phone that I have or the app itself, but it really made me angry. So now I'm typing it on my computer, I'm going to try to conjure up the same feeling the first two entries had. I very much doubt that this will have the same energy or flow, please bare with me.

So What's Next? 

After 12 long years (more for some, less for some.) you finally found your way out of formal education. So what do you do now? Go to college, trade school, kick start your career? If you are still in high school this is a question you need to think long and hard about, because once you're out life will be coming at you fast and you won't know where the time went or why you're in the position you're in. The easiest next step is college, however, if you didn't get the grades some of the higher universities want you'll have to settle with community college. This isn't entirely a bad thing, especially if you don't know what you want to do yet, most community colleges will take you by the hand and show you a few things that the world has to offer, be warned, most of them will be over glamorized. Technical school will get you a good paying job faster than college will, however you must be hungry, because most technical schools will leave you to your own devices once you're in a program, it is you who has to gain the knowledge that they hold out to you. Kick starting your career is the hardest of them all, however it's not as far fetched as you think. If you want to take this route you had better have a plan, and more importantly a very strong why.

 Here's the kicker

So you're finally out in what most people call, the real world. Here is the biggest shocker, you will have to embrace it, if you don't you'll fail (my definition of failing is different from other people's I'll talk about that later on.), what you'll have to embrace is the fact that you are "nobody" worse yet, no one cares. Not a single sole around you cares that you aren't anyone significant. Now, you may soon be the most important person in the world, but for the moment you aren't. Remember all those connection you made in high school, all those people you met and either liked, or hated? Very few, and when I say very few I mean 1%, of those connections matter. The reason for that is that those people are nobodies too. You may have been the most popular, the most liked, the most beautiful person in your school, or even your district, when you step out into the real world there will be 10,000 if not 100,000 people exactly like you. Don't rely on who you were, it's time to start becoming who you're going to be for the rest of your life. 

So how do you become someone? 

Well... you start by saying "Hello." 


No comments:

Post a Comment